“‘On foreign cases, he is nothing short of excellent’”
Chambers and Partners 2016
Gerard McDermott QC Ltd specialises in handling claims for injuries and losses arising out of accidents occurring outside England and Wales, including:
- Road traffic accidents
- Accidents in hotels – including slips and trips
- Sporting activities accidents – including skiing and rock climbing
The time limit for bringing a claim in the UK is 3 years from the date of the accident. This is known as the limitation period.
The limitation period can however be different depending on where the accident happened and can often be shorter than 3 years.
In Spain for example, the limitation period is only 1 year. In the USA, limitation periods vary from state to state and so whereas in Illinois a lawsuit must be brought within 2 years from the date of the accident, New York allows a period of 3 years.
In those cases involving accidents on aircraft and on ships, a 2 year time limit applies.
It is recommended that you seek legal advice and representation as soon as possible.
Serious Injuries Abroad
Gerard is routinely instructed to represent those who suffer brain, spinal and other serious injuries in accidents both in the UK and abroad. Examples of his case results can be found here.
Gerard is more than aware of the additional difficulties faced by those who have been injured overseas. After any serious accident, individuals and their families have to turn their minds to:
- The immediate clinical needs of the injured and the cost of dealing with those needs
- Travel insurance issues
- Liaison with clinical services on return
- Liaison with medical experts for the purpose of the claim
- Understanding very different legal processes.
Gerard is recommended in the UK Bar Guide for his expertise in Travel Law. He has an increasing number of cases with a cross border element to them. He also has specialist knowledge of conflicts of law and has been instructed in some of the leading cases in this area.
Whilst Gerard acts in a number of Personal Injury cases, he also has experience in a number of other areas of law including Product Liability, Employment Law and Commercial Law. As a result, he is happy to advise clients in a broad range of disputes arising overseas.
Gerard has been admitted as Attorney-at-Law in New York (non-practising) for over twenty years. Gerard is also very involved in a number of associations:
- Former Leader of the European Circuit of the Bar
- Former President of the American Counsel Association
- American Bar Association (in particular the Section of Litigation)
- American Association for Justice
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Bar European Group and European Circuit
How We Can Help
If you or a relative have been injured abroad and would like further advice, then please contact us on by telephone number 0161 304 4308 or email [email protected]
In most cases, we will be happy to act on a ‘no-win-no-fee’ basis. That means we only get paid if you win your case. If you were to lose your case, then you will not have any fees to pay.