Criminal Injuries Compensation

If you’ve suffered injury due to being the victim of violent crime, you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme (CICS).

In this brief blog post, we look at the basics of the CICS and how it works.

What is the CICS?

The CICS is administered by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

This is government agency that handles the applications that are made and decides upon the level of compensation that is payable.

You may be eligible to compensation if:

  • You were the victim of a crime of violence
  • You reported the incident to the Police as soon as practically possible.
  • Your injuries must be worth more than the minimum award of £1,000
  • You Make the claim within 2 years of the date of the incident or of reporting it to the Police
  • The incident happened in England, Wales or Scotland [1]

A crime of violence includes assault that leads to either physical and/or mental harm, threats that cause a fear of immediate violence and sexual assaults.

You may also be entitled to claim if you witnessed a crime of violence (or the immediate aftermath) that led to a loved one sustaining injury.

You are not eligible to compensation if:

  • You did not report the incident to the Police
  • Your injury was as a result of an incident that happened somewhere other than England, Wales or Scotland
  • Your injury happened before a 1 August 1964 or before 1 October 1979 and the person who caused your injuries was living with you as a member of your family
  • You have any unspent convictions at the time of the incident
  • You fail to co-operate with either the Police or CICA#

When you make a claim to CICA, you can apply for compensation for:

  • The actual injuries, both physical and psychological that you have suffered
  • Loss of earnings [2]
  • Special expenses such as the cost of any care required or treatment not covered by the NHS

If you application is accepted by CICA, then you are awarded compensation for your injuries according to the tariff that is set out in the CICS.

The amount of compensation depends on the nature of your injuries and what the tariff says.

For example, if you have suffered a broken arm and make a good recovery, you will be awarded £1,500 whereas if you continue to suffer significant symptoms in your arm, your award would be £3,500.

In addition to compensation for your injury, CICA can award compensation for other types of loss up to a maximum award of £500,000.

Making an application

Applications are made directly to CICA on the forms they provide and can be submitted online.

If you disagree with the decision CICA make following your application, you can ask them to review their decision by submitting a further form together with further evidence if applicable.

Following a review, if you are still unhappy with the decision made, you can make an appeal to a tribunal and the members of the tribunal will then consider your application.

For further advice and assistance about CICA claims, contact us today on 0161 304 4308 or [email protected]

Readers should note that this is not intended to be definitive legal advice but rather a basic guide to the CICS and CICA.












[1] Subject to exceptions relating to military personnel serving in certain places abroad

[2] Provided you have been absent from work for more than 29 weeks